Tenses for SSC, Banking, and Other Competitive examination
What Do tense mean?
|TENSE stand for a verb form or series of verb forms used to express a
time relation. These may indicate whether an action, activity or state is
PAST, PRESENT or FUTURE Tense may also indicate whether an action, activity,
or state is, was, or will be complete, or whether it is, was or be in progress
over a period of time.
Look at these sentences:
|He works hard.[Present Time]
He worked hard. [Past Time]
He will work hard. [Future Time]
In Sentence “1” the verb “works” refer to the present time and therefore
said to be in the Present Tense.
In sentence “2” the verb “worked” refer to the past time and therefore
said to be Past Tense.
In sentence “3” the verb “will work” refers to the future time and therefore
said to be Future Tense.
Kinds of Tenses.
On the basis of time tenses have been divided into three classes :
To show the progress or stage of an action tense has been divided into four classes:
2.Continuous or Imperfect or Progressive.
4.Perfect Continous Or Perfect Progressive.
13Simple Present Tense
|Negative Sentence||Do / Does + not + v¹|
|Interrogative Sentence||Do / Does + Subject + v¹|
|1. To express habitual action.
example – I go to School Daily.
2. To express Universal Truth.
example – The Sun rises in the east.
3.To express an action which starts in past but complete in future.
example – The Prime minister Visits Japan.
4. To express fixed programme.
example – Tomorrow is my birthday.
5. It is used with the conditional words to express two actions in future.
example – As soon as I get my mobile recharge I will call you first.
6. To express mental activity, feeling, and emotions.
example – I look at you.
7. If two action of the future time is referred to, we use simple present tense
example – If he works hard, he will succeed.
8.In imperative Sentence.
example – Clean the room.
12Present Continuous Tense
|Negative Sentence||is / are / am + not + v4|
|Interrogative Sentence||is / are / am + Subject + v4|
|1. For a fixed programme in the near future
example- I am going to Delhi tonight.
2. To show a gradual development or change or decline in somethings
example- The condition of the patient is improving.
3. For an action which is in progress at the present time but not necessarily at the
example – I am writing a book on English.
4. For an action which is going on at the time of speaking or at this moment
example – I am listening to the radio.
11Present Perfect Tense
|Negative Sentence||have / has + not + v3|
|Interrogative Sentence||have / has + Subject + v3 …?|
|1. To show an activity completed in the immediate past.
example: I have just received my father’s letter.
2. To express a past activity, which is op presence importance
example: I have seen the India gate.
3. Normally with the Adverbs or Adverb Phrases of Time like
example: He has not come yet.
4. For an action which started at some time in the past and is continuing
example: He has lived here for three years. ( means still living)
10Present Perfect Continuous Tense
|Negative Sentence||have / has + not + been + v4|
|Interrogative Sentence||have / has + Subject + been + v4 …?|
|1. For an action which started at some time in the past and
is continuing up to the present moments.example: He has been living here for three years.
She has been working here since 2008.2. For an action which started in the past time and has now
ended but its effect is still seen.example: It has been raining all the day.
He has been working in the field.3. In the Interrogative sentence beginning with ‘For how long’
or ‘since when’example: For how long have you been waiting for mala?
Since when has he been working in the office?
9Simple Past Tense
|1. For an action or event which took place in the past.
example: He came here in 2005.
2.For a past habit.
example: He always helped me.
3. To express an unreal situation of the present time
example: I wish I were a king.
4. Sometimes for actions going on at some time in the past.
example: While he danced, he sang.
5. If in the Direct Narration the Reporting Verb is in the Past tense
example: She said, “I am late.” [direct narration]
8Past Continuous Tenses
|1. For an action going on at some time in the past.
example: I was reading a novel.
They were making a noise.2.For an action going on at the time when a new action happened.example: When he came, I was watching television.
While she was dancing. her father arrived.
7Past Perfect Tense
|1. For an action which had been completed before another was commenced.
example: I had reached the school before the bell rang.
2. After ‘if, as nif.as thought, I wish, we wish etc ‘ to express
example: I wish I had seen Mahatma Gandhi.
3. With the verb like ‘hope,expect,think,mean,intend,suppose’
example: I had hoped to see you but I fell ill.
6Past Perfect Continuous Tense
|1. For an action going on in the past.
example: He had been reading for three hours When I arrived.
5Simple Future Tense
|1. For an action or event which will take place in the future.
example: I shall do this work tomorrow.
2. For determination, threat, command in future.
example: I will do it at all costs.[determination]
3. To express the future events or stated which we cannot control.
example: He will be seventy in January.
4Future Continuous Tenses
|1. For an action which will be going on at some time in the future.
example: He will be sitting on the train at this time tomorrow.
3Future Perfect Tenses
|1. For an action which will be completed by a certain future time.
example: By this time tomorrow you will have reached Bihar.
2. For an action supposed to have been done in the past.
example: You will have heard the same name of Mukesh Ambani.
2Future Perfect Continous
|1. For an action which will continue up to a definite time in the future.
example: By the end of this month he will have been living there
Some Questions of Tenses
|1) When the Principal entered the class, a student………. on the blackboard.
(b) was writing
(d) is writing
(b) was watching
(c) is watching
(3) He always………to prove that the earth revolves around the sun.
(c) was trying
(d) is trying
(4) He saw me by chance and……….the car.
(d) was stopping
(5) How many pegs of wine……yesterday?
(a) you have drank
(b) were you drinking
(c) did you drink
(d) do you drink
(6) I was watching TV when she…….in.
(d) was coming
(7) She cut her finger while she……..vegetables.
(b) was cutting
(d) had cut
(8) She still remembers the day when she first……..to church.
(b) was going
(9) The train had left before I…….the station.
(b) was reaching
(10) Had you worked hard, you……passed?
(c) would have
(d) will have